Friday 1 August 1947
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rick Anderson and Ricky Coonce.
The Son of Rusty, directed by Lew Landers, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Play the Game.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1947!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1947 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Rick Anderson: Rock bassist (Tubes).
- Ricky Coonce: Los Angeles, California -- Rock drummer (Grass Roots).
- Chris L Barnard: Welsh footballer.
- Dennis Zine: Los Angeles city councilman.
- Paul Bonnel: American noted family, the third son of actress Gale Storm and actor Lee Bonnell.
- Serge Durville: French race horse trainer, owner and jockey.
- Ronnie King: Dutch-Canadian musician, producer, and co-owner of Blue Label Records with Sean Couevas. His 1970s band "Stampeders" had an international hit, "Sweet City Woman".
- Bob Makransky: American professional astrologer, previously system analyst and programmer. He lives in Guatemala. He developed a free software package, Mayan Horoscope, and is the author of several books on astrology, magic and other subjects, listed in detail on the Astrowiki page. His website is
- Lorna Goodison: Jamaican poet and author
- Medium & The Telephone opens at Barrymore Theater NYC for 211 performances
- Valleivogels soccer team forms in Scherpenzeel
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?