Wednesday 27 August 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jacques Arnold and Susie McAllister.
Shoeshine, directed by Vittorio De Sica, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
while Lydia Bailey by Kenneth Roberts was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Walter Compton News.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 1947!
Which were the important events of 27 August 1947 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
- Jacques Arnold: MP (Conservative).
- Susie McAllister: LPGA golfer.
- Barbara Bach: American model and actress.
- Halil Berktay: Turkish historian and academic.
- Kirk Francis: American engineer and producer.
- Peter Krieg: German documentary filmmaker, producer and writer (Born 1947)
- John Morrison: New Zealand cricketer and politician
- Gavin Pfuhl: South African cricketer and sportscaster (d. 2002)
- Harry Reems: American porn actor and director (d. 2013)
- When the French government lowers the daily bread ration to 200ampnbspgrams, causing riots in Verdun and in Le Mans.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarrette) - Phil Harris
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?