Monday 19 August 1946
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include William Jefferson and Charles F Bolden Jr in Columbia.
Brief Encounter, directed by David Lean, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
while The Miracle of the Bells by Russell Janne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1946!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1946 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- William Jefferson: Clinton; 42nd US President (former Little Rock attorney).
- Charles F Bolden Jr in Columbia: South Carolina, USA; astronaut (STS 61C, 31, STS 45).
- Bill Clinton: American politician from 1963, a graduate of Yale Law school, Governor of Arkansas in 1978 at age 32 and sworn into office as U.S.
- Charles Bolden: American general and astronaut.
- Christopher Malcolm: Scottish-English actor and singer (d. 2014).
- Beat Raaflaub: Swiss conductor and director
- Dawn Steel: Film maker (When Harry Met Sally), dies at 51
- Violence between Muslims and Hindus in Calcutta leaves 3,000 dead.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1946 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Give Me Five Minutes More - Tex Beneke & The Glenn Miller Orchestra
- Modernaires & Paula Kelly - To Each His Own
- Xavier Cugat & His Waldorf-Astoria Orchestra (Vocal Buddy Clark) - South America, Take it Away
- Blue Skies - Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (Vocal Art Lund)
- Andy Russell - Pretending
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?