Wednesday 23 December 2009
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
Sherlock Holmes, directed by Guy Ritchie, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Pursuit Of Honor by Vince Flynn was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching NSFW Show.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing C.O.P. The Recruit or CID The Dummy.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 December 2009!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 23 December 2009 ?
- Festivus (from sitcom Seinfeld)
- Oaxaca - Night of the Radishes
- Secular humanism (American) - HumanLight observed
- R.C. Saints - John Cantius ; Thorlac Thorhallsson, patron saint of Iceland
- Sweden - Birthday of Queen Silvia, an official flag day
- Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - Birthday of Akihito, the current Emperor of Japan
- Roman festivals - Larentalia, a festival in honor of Larenta
- Ancient Latvia - Ziemassvetki held
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 23 December
- Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin Jim Moriarty resigns, the second bishop to do so following the publication of the Murphy Report. (''Bangkok Post'')
- 39-year-old Russian Orthodox priest Father Alexander Filippov is fatally shot in the back outside his home in Satino-Russkoye after challenging a group of drunks who were urinating in his hallway. (''The Age'')
- Gävle's giant straw goat mdash a traditional symbol of yuletide in Scandinavia mdash is burned down for the 24th time. (''USA Today'')
- President of Liberia Ellen Johnson Sirleaf voluntarily imprisons herself in Bella Yalla prison, an old maximum security prison in the northern jungle, which is to be renamed and turned into a museum. (BBC)
- Clashes between police and protesters take place in the Iranian city of Isfahan at a memorial service for Ayatollah Hussein-Ali Montazeri. (''The Times'')
- American Airlines Flight 331, with 154 people onboard, overshoots the runway at Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston, Jamaica, injuring 44. (''China Daily'')
- The trial of Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo on charges of subversion begins. (''Times of India'')
- A Dutch court hears a case taken by Kurdish survivors of poison gas attacks in Halabja against businessman Frans van Anraat, who sold chemicals to Saddam Hussein during the 1980s. (Radio Nederland Wereldomroep)
- Shia insurgency in Yemen led to the deaths of 73 Saudi soldiers, while more than 100 Houthis have been killed in recent days. (''The Christian Science Monitor'')
- The body of Luis Francisco Cuéllar, the governor of Caquetá department in Colombia kidnapped the previous day, is found. (Reuters)
- Afghan senator Mohammed Yunos Shirnagha and his son/driver are fatally shot by police in Puli Khumri, Baghlan Province. (CBC News)
- Authorities in Uzbekistan fell trees, some of which are more than a century old, in the capital Tashkent, in a controversy which has drawn protests. (BBC)
- Soyuz TMA-17, carrying an international crew of one Russian, one American and one Japanese astronaut, docks with the International Space Station. (BBC)
- The United Nations imposes sanctions of a ban on arms importation and frozen bank accounts on Eritrea for supporting Somali rebels. (RIA Novosti)
- The Supreme Court of Pakistan orders the government to recognise ''hijras'' (eunuchs and transgender individuals) as a distinct gender. ( BBC News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 23 December 2009
Le ChampionnatFootball (France)
- Le Mans - Monaco : 1 - 1
- Lorient - Valenciennes : 3 - 2
- Lyon - Montpellier : 1 - 2
- Marseille - Auxerre : 0 - 2
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?