Thursday 31 December 2009, NewYear’s Eve
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on December 31, 2009). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to TiK ToK by Ke$ha.
Leap Year, directed by Anand Tucker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching World War II in Color.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Art Academy or Caucasus: Nanatsuki no Nie.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 31 December 2009
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 31 December 2009 ?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 31 December
- A High Court in Malaysia rules that the country's Christians have a constitutional right to use the word ''Allah'' in reference to God, declaring the government's ban on the use of ''Allah'' by non-Muslims as unconstitutional. (''BBC News'')
- Former Catholic Primate of All Ireland Cardinal Cahal Daly, ampquotthe hierarchy's foremost theologian and its most trenchant critic of politically-inspired violenceampquot, dies in Belfast aged 92. (Reuters)
- Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade issues an apology to ampquothumiliatedampquot Christians for comparing an ampquotidolatrousampquot statue to Jesus Christ. (''Daily Nation'')
- Two French journalists and their translator are kidnapped in Kapisa Province, Afghanistan. (Radio Netherlands Worldwide)
- The Government of Serbia decides to sue Croatia for genocide before the International Court of Justice. (B92)
- The University of Cambridge successfully acquires a collection of Siegfried Sassoon's personal papers for £1.25 million, following a six-month fundraising campaign. (Reuters)
- At least six people are killed by a gunman at a shopping centre in Espoo, near Helsinki. (Reuters)
- Lithuania shuts the Baltic region's one and only nuclear power station in Visaginas. The Lithuanian nuclear power station provides 70% of the nation's energy and was traded for membership to the European Union. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- ''Les Choristes'' by Impressionist artist Edgar Degas mysteriously disappears from Marseilles's Cantini Museum. (Reuters)
- Van Morrison tells ''RTÉ News at One'' that a baby his own website claimed he has fathered does not exist and that he has never met the alleged mother. (Statement)
- Patrick Stewart, the actor who played Captain Jean-Luc Picard in ''Star Trek: The Next Generation'' and Professor X in ''X-Men'', is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom. (''The Guardian'')
- Both a blue moon and a lunar eclipse occur. (RTÉ)
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in December 2009?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- I Invented Sex - Trey Songz Featuring Drake
- It Kills Me - Melanie Fiona
- Money To Blow - Birdman Featuring Lil Wayne & Drake
- Say Aah - Trey Songz Featuring Fabolous
- Papers - Usher
- Empire State Of Mind - Jay-Z + Alicia Keys
- BedRock - Young Money Featuring Lloyd
- Bad Habits - Maxwell
- Baby By Me - 50 Cent Featuring Ne-Yo
- Alicia Keys - Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart
Top #10 Latin songs
- Me Gusta Todo De Ti - Banda El Recodo de Cruz Lizarraga
- Looking For Paradise - Alejandro Sanz Featuring Alicia Keys
- Dile Al Amor - Aventura
- Se Me Va La Voz - Alejandro Fernandez
- Hay Ojitos - Intocable
- Te Ira Mejor Sin Mi - Joan Sebastian
- Gracias A Ti - Wisin & Yandel Featuring Enrique Iglesias
- La Calabaza - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
- Did It Again (Lo Hecho Esta Hecho) - Shakira
- Equivocada - Thalia
Top #10 Rock songs
- Break - Three Days Grace
- I Will Not Bow - Breaking Benjamin
- Muse - Uprising
- Weezer - (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
- If You Only Knew - Shinedown
- Foo Fighters - Wheels
- Kings And Queens - Thirty Seconds To Mars
- Alice In Chains - Check My Brain
- Savior - Rise Against
- Phoenix - 1901
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
Daytrotter gives artists, most of them lesser known, another outlet for their music. [..]
Entrepreneurs found themselves hit hard by the economic downturn. Several business owners recall what went wrong. [..]
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $43.98
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $64.75
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $70.67
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $52.82
- 1 CAD = 6.4815 CNY
- 1 CAD = 0.9818 CHF
- 1 AUD = 6.128 CNY
- 1 AUD = 0.9279 CHF
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?