Monday July 23, 1973
US date format: 7/23/1973, UK date format: 23/7/1973
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on July 23, 1973). The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Edward Heath (Conservative), Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Monica Lewinsky and Francis Healy.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Bad, Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce.
In UK Welcome Home by Peters & Lee was in the top 5 hits.
American Graffiti, directed by George Lucas, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while Laughing All The Way by Barbara Howar was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Der Bastian.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing TREK73 or Gotcha.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of July 23, 1973?
- Papua New Guinea - Remembrance Day
- Egypt - Revolution Day (1952)
- St. Liborius
- Catholic - the feasts of at least 2 saints: St. Apollinaris
- See more
- President Nixon refuses to release Watergate tapes of conversations in the White House relevant to the Watergate investigation
- Qaboos bin Said Al Said, becomes Sultan and Prime Minister of Oman
- Ozark Air Lines' plane knocked out of the air by lightning over Saint Louis - 36 die.
- The Avianca Building in Bogotá, Colombia suffers a serious fire.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 23, 1973?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jim Croce - Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
- Carpenters - Yesterday Once More
- Three Dog Night - Shambala
- Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
- Billy Preston - Will It Go Round In Circles
- Seals and Crofts - Diamond Girl
- Paul Simon - Kodachrome
- Bette Midler - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
- Maureen McGovern - The Morning After
- George Harrison - Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Johnnie Taylor - I Believe In You (You Believe In Me)
- Fred Wesley & The J.B.'s - Doing It To Death
- Four Tops - Are You Man Enough
- Aretha Franklin - Angel
- Bobby Womack - Nobody Wants You When You're Down And Out
- Gladys Knight And The Pips - Where Peaceful Waters Flow
- The Manhattans - There's No Me Without You
- Diana Ross - Touch Me In The Morning
- Al Green - Here I Am Come & Take Me
- Sly & The Family Stone - If You Want Me To Stay
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next July 23If July 23, 1973 is your birthday you're 47 years, 2 months, 1 day old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 9 months, 29 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?