Monday 24 December 1934, Christmas Eve
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Stjepan Mesic and John Critchinson.
Forsaking All Others, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1934
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1934!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1934 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Stjepan Mesic: president of Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Secretary General of Non-Aligned Movement and president of Croatia.
- John Critchinson: English pianist and composer.
- Stjepan Mesić: Croatian lawyer and politician 2nd President of Croatia.
- Grimmett takes 9-180 for SA as Queensland make 430
- Actor Lionel Barrymore begins what will become an annual tradition of the Golden Age of Radio ampndash playing the role of Ebenezer Scrooge in dramatizations of Charles Dickens's ''A Christmas Carol''. Barrymore continues playing Scrooge on radio until shortly before his death in 1954. He will also make a 78-RPM record album of the classic story, which will later be released on LP.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 December 1934
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1934 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Blue Danube - Ray Noble & His Orchestra
- Believe it, Beloved - Fats Waller
- Bing Crosby - Love is Just Around the Corner
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?