Sunday 24 December 1933, Christmas Eve
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Nicholas Fairbairn .
Sons of the Desert, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1933
while Magnificent Obsession by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1933!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1933 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Nicholas Fairbairn: Scottish politician, a Conservative Member of Parliament, returned at General Election 6/11/1987.
- Paris express train derails and kills 160, injures 300 (France).
- A train crash in Lagny, France kills over 200.
- The Nissan Motor Company is organized in Tokyo, Japan.
- FM radio is patented.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1933 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- April in Paris - Freddy Martin & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?