Saturday 24 May 1947
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Mike Reid and Mike Reid in Altoona.
Great Expectations, directed by David Lean, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
while Lydia Bailey by Kenneth Roberts was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Wife Saver.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1947!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1947 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Mike Reid: Altoona, Pennsylvania -- Country singer (Walk on Faith).
- Mike Reid in Altoona: Pennsylvania, USA; country singer ("Walk on Faith").
- Luke Rittner: secretary-general (Arts Council).
- Sybil Danning: American Playboy cover girl and an actress in impact roles.
- Jean-Marie Le Sidaner: French philosophy teacher and writer who published anthologies and essays on art.
- Colin Weir: Colin and his wife Chris, a couple from Largs, Scotland, won 161 millions pounds in Euromullions on 12 July 2011. The prize was Europe's biggest ever.
- Martin Winterkorn: German business manager in the automobile industry, CEO of Volkswagen AG 2007 - 2015.
- richard Krawczyk:
- Albert Bouchard: American singer-songwriter guitarist and drummer (Blue Öyster Cult)
- Mike De Leon: Filipino director producer screenwriter and cinematographer
- Waddy Wachtel: American guitarist songwriter and producer
- Charles Ferdinand Ramuz: Swiss writer (Born 1878).
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1947 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- I Wonder, I Wonder, I Wonder - Eddy Howard & His Orchestra
- Chi-Baba Chi-Baba (My Bambino Go To Sleep) - Perry Como
- That's My Desire - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra (Vocal Don Cornell)
- I Wonder, I Wonder, I Wonder - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
- The Red Silk Stockings and Green Perfume - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?