Wednesday 31 August 1938
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Murray Gleeson and Martin Bell.
Carefree, directed by Mark Sandrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
while The Citadel by A. J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Telecrime.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1938!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 31 August 1938 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
Famous Birthdays:31 August
- 5th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: All-Stars 28, Washington 16 (74,250)
- Winston Churchill, still believing France and Britain mean to honor their promises to defend Czechoslovakia against Nazi aggression, suggests in a personal note to Neville Chamberlain that His Majesty's Government may want to set up a broad international alliance including the United States (specifically mentioning U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt as possibly receptive to the idea) and the Soviet Union.
- September ndash The European crisis over German demands for annexation of the Sudeten borderland of Czechoslovakia heats up.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?