January 1903 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1903.
The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Arthur Balfour (Conservative), Pope Leo XIII was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1903: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1903?
- 01 Jan 1903 Edward VII of the United Kingdom is proclaimed Emperor of India.
- 02 Jan 1903 President T Roosevelt shuts down post office in Indianola Michigan, for refusing to accept its appointed postmistress because she was black.
- 04 Jan 1903 Topsy, an elephant, is electrocuted by Thomas Edison during the War of Currents campaign.
- 06 Jan 1903 Dutch Press museum opens in Amsterdam.
- 07 Jan 1903 Start of Sherlock Holmes Adventure of Blanched Soldier (BG)
- 09 Jan 1903 2 NYers buy Baltimore baseball franchise for $18,000 and moved it to New York
- 12 Jan 1903 Rhodes Opera House burns in Boyertown Pa, killing 170
- 17 Jan 1903 El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico becomes part of the United States National Forest System as the Luquillo Forest Reserve.
- 18 Jan 1903 President Theodore Roosevelt sends a radio message to King Edward VII: the first transatlantic radio transmission originating in the United States.
- 19 Jan 1903 New bicycle race "Tour de France" announced.
- 21 Jan 1903 International Theater (Majestic, Park) opens at 5 Columbus Circle New York City, New York.
- 29 Jan 1903 Dutch railroad workers strike.
Italian noted family, the only daughter...
- See more
French composer (Born 1847).
dies at age 49.
dies at age 58.
dies at age 55.
- See more
Which were the top hits in January 1903?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Harry Macdonough & John Bieling - Tessie
- Mina Hickman - Come Down, Ma Evening Star
- Harry Macdonough - In the Good Old Summer Time
- Arthur Collins - Down Where the Wurzburger Flows
- Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan - Under the Bamboo Tree