September 1906 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in September 1906.
The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (Liberal), Pope Pius X was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on September 1906: find out below
Which were the important events of September 1906?
- 01 Sep 1906 British New Guinea becomes Australian Papua New Guinea
- 03 Sep 1906 Philadelphia Giants win Negro Championship Cup in Philadelphia before 10,000 fans
- 04 Sep 1906 New York Highlanders win 5th straight doubleheader
- 05 Sep 1906 1st legal forward pass (Brandbury Robinson to Jack Schneider)
- 07 Sep 1906 Alberto Santos-Dumont flies his 14-bis aircraft at Bagatelle, France for the first time successfully.
- 11 Sep 1906 Mahatma Gandhi coins the term ''Satyagraha'' to characterize the Non-Violence movement in South Africa.
- 12 Sep 1906 The Newport Transporter Bridge is opened in Newport, South Wales by Viscount Tredegar.
- 13 Sep 1906 First flight of a fixed-wing aircraft in Europe.
- 16 Sep 1906 Kaarlo Nieminen wins 1st Finnish marathon
- 18 Sep 1906 A typhoon with tsunami kills an estimated 10,000 people in Hong Kong.
- 20 Sep 1906 Cunard Line's RMS Mauretania is launched at the Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson shipyard in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.
- 22 Sep 1906 Race riot in Atlanta Georgia, kills 21
- 24 Sep 1906 U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt proclaims Devils Tower in Wyoming as the nation's first National Monument.
- 25 Sep 1906 In the presence of the king and before a great crowd, Leonardo Torres Quevedo successfully demonstrates the invention of the Telekino in the port of Bilbao, guiding a boat from the shore, in what is considered the birth of the remote control.
- 28 Sep 1906 US troops reoccupy Cuba, stay until 1909.
- 29 Sep 1906 US intervenes in Cuba ousts Dictator Estrada Palma
- 30 Sep 1906 The Real Academia Galega, Galician language's biggest linguistic authority, starts working in Havana.
Russian composer noted for his daring...
French film director who began with...
- See more
Which were the top hits in September 1906?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Arthur Collins - Here it Comes Again
- Billy Murray & Haydn Quartet - Waltz Me Around Again, Willie
- Billy Murray - College Life
- Bert Williams - Here it Comes Again
- Byron G. Harlan - The Good Old U.S.A.