Saturday 1 September 1906
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Eleanor Burford Hibertt (Jean Plaidy and Joaquin Balaguer.
Lika mot lika, directed by Knut Lambert, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1906
while The House of a Thousand Candles by Meredith Nicholson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1906!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1906 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Joaquin Balaguer: President of the Dominican Republic (d. 2002).
- Eleanor Burford Hibertt (Jean Plaidy: Victoria Holt, Philippa Carr.
- Joaquín Balaguer: President of the Dominican Republic who served three non-consecutive terms for that office for his first term from 1960 to 1962, again for a second term from 1966 to 1978, and again for a third and final term from 1986 to 1996.
- Franz Biebl: German composer and educator (d. 2001).
- Eleanor Hibbert: English writer (Born 1906).
- Arthur Rowe: English footballer and manager (d. 1993).
- British New Guinea becomes Australian Papua New Guinea
- New York Highlanders win 6th game in 3 days from Washington (3 straight DHs)
- Alberta adopts Mountain Standard Time.
- Papua placed under Australian administration.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1906 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Here it Comes Again - Arthur Collins
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?