Saturday 1 April 1939
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rudolph Isley in Cincinnati and Phil Niekro knuckleball pitcher (New York Yankees.
Dodge City, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1939!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1939 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Rudolph Isley in Cincinnati: Ohio, USA; rocker (Isley Brothers - "Shout").
- Phil Niekro knuckleball pitcher (New York Yankees: Atlanta Braves).
- Wilhelm Bungert: German tennis player.
- Carole Devine: American astrologer, lecturer and author of "Solar Arc Directions: How to Read Life's Roadmap" (2000) and the extensive correspondence course on CD, "Exploring Astrology.
- Rudolph Isley: American musician, one of four brothers who sang in the local church choir before forming a professional quartet in 1955.
- Ali MacGraw: American actress, best known for her role in the movie "Love Story," 1970. MacGraw’s performance as a college student whose romance is tragically cut short by illness earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress and catapulted her to stardom.
- Phil Niekro: American baseball player, he made his professional league debut on April 15, 1964 as a pitcher for the Milwaukee Braves, a team which, two years later, became the Atlanta Braves. . He played until 1983, returning for one year in 1987. In the interim he wore the New York Yankees uniform for a year and then played for the Cleveland Indians. He ended his career in 1987 playing for the Toronto Blue Jays.
- US recognizes Franco government in Spain at end of Spanish civil war.
- Generalisimo Francisco Franco of the Spanish State announces the end of the Spanish Civil War, when the last of the Republican forces surrender.
- The Spanish Civil War comes to an end when the last of the Republican forces surrender.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?