Sunday 1 February 1959
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by The Platters.
In UK It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty was in the top 5 hits.
Sleeping Beauty, directed by Clyde Geronimi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while From The Terrace by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1959!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1959 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Wade Wilson: NFL quarterback (Dallas Cowboys).
- Carolyn Hill in Santa Monica: California, USA; LPGA golfer (1994 McCall's Classic).
- Mike Horan: NFL punter (New York Giants).
- Charley Wilson: American athlete, a football quarterback with the Dallas Cowboys.
- Brigitte Theler: Swiss professional astrologer.
- Ottmar Liebert: German musician popular in the jazz world and beat circuit, the founder of a band "Luna Negra," (dark moon).
- Madame Sul-To-Wan [Conley]: Actress (Birth of a Nation), dies at 85.
- Texas Instruments requests patent of IC (Integrated Circuit)
- WVUE TV channel 8 in New Orleans, LA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- Swiss males vote against voting rights for women.
- Wiffi Smith wins LPGA Havana Golf Tournament.
- Zack Wheat unanimously elected to baseball Hall of Fame.
- US male Figure Skating championship won by David Jenkins.
- A referendum in Switzerland turns down female suffrage.
- A chartered plane transporting musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper and pilot Roger Peterson goes down in foggy conditions near Clear Lake, Iowa, killing all 4 occupants on board. The tragedy is later termed ampquotThe Day the Music Diedampquot, popularized in Don McLean's 1972 song ampquotAmerican Pieampquot.
- American Airlines Flight 320, a Lockheed L-188 Electra heading from Chicago to New York City, crashes into the East River, killing 65 of the 73 people on board.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- Ritchie Valens - Donna
- The Crests - 16 Candles
- Connie Francis - My Happiness
- Billy Grammer - Gotta Travel On
- Clyde McPhatter - A Lover's Question
- Fats Domino - Whole Lotta Loving
- Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
- Jack Scott - Goodbye Baby
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 February 1959 and get them!