Sunday 22 February 1959
It was Sunday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Stagger Lee by Lloyd Price.
In UK As I Love You by Shirley Bassey was in the top 5 hits.
The Journey, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while From The Terrace by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 February 1959!
Which were the important events of 22 February 1959 ?
- Blessed Saint Isabel of France (+1270)
- United States - Washington's Birthday (traditionally).
- Ash Wednesday in 2023.
- Saint Lucia - independence (1979).
- The Scouting movement celebrates this day as "B.-P. day" or "Founder's Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts celebrates this day as "Thinking Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell, and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter.
- Susan Benjamin: Actress (Tracy-Accidental Family).
- Jiri Cunek: Czech politician.
- Kyle MacLachlan: American actor, best known for his performance as a small town innocent in "Blue Velvet," 1986.
- David Williams: American singer and twin of singer Andrew Williams, a singing duet known as The Williams Brothers.
- Andrew Williams: American singer and first born twin, older brother of singer David Williams, a duet act known as The Williams Brothers.
- Jiří Čunek: Czech politician
- Helen Parrish: Actress (Hour Glass), dies of cancer at 36.
- 1st Daytona 500 auto race-Lee Petty wins (135.521 mph)
- Lee Petty wins the first Daytona 500.
- The USS Tuscaloosa, USS New Orleans, USS Tennessee and USS West Virginia are struck from the Naval Vessel Register.
- Archbishop Makarios returns to Cyprus from exile.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- The Crests - 16 Candles
- Ritchie Valens - Donna
- The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- Bill Parsons - The All American Boy
- Connie Francis - My Happiness
- Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
- Jack Scott - Goodbye Baby
- Billy Grammer - Gotta Travel On
- Reg Owen and His Orchestra - Manhattan Spiritual
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?