Saturday 1 January 1966, NewYear’s Day
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Mika Nieminen and Rawley Valberde in Oceanside.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to The Sounds Of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel.
In UK The Carnival Is Over by The Seekers was in the top 5 hits.
The Slender Thread, directed by Sydney Pollack, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Those Who Love by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Liars.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1966!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1966 ?
- Mika Nieminen: Tampere, Finland -- Hockey forward (Team Finland, Olympics - Bronze - 1998).
- Rawley Valberde in Oceanside: California, USA; actor (Amado - Santa Barbara).
- Tina Landon: Mexican-American choreographer.
- Anna Burke: Australian businesswoman and politician 28th Speaker of the Australian House of Representatives.
- Ivica Dačić: Serbian journalist and politician 95th Prime Minister of Serbia.
- Vincent Auriol: French writer, lawyer and politician who was the leader of the Socialist party and, from 1947-1954, the first President of the Fourth Republic.
- 12 day transit worker strike shuts down NYC subway
- All US cigarette packs have to carry "Caution Cigarette smoking may be hazardous to your health".
- The Aladdin Hotel opens in Las Vegas, with 15-story high Aladdin's lamp.
- A twelve-day New York City transit strike begins.
- After a coup, Colonel Jean-Bedel Bokassa assumes power as president of the Central African Republic.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 January 1966
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Simon & Garfunkel - The Sounds Of Silence
- The Beatles - We Can Work It Out
- James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good)
- The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season)
- The Dave Clark Five - Over And Over
- The 4 Seasons - Let's Hang On
- The McCoys - Fever
- The Righteous Brothers - Ebb Tide
- Roger Miller - England Swings
- Eddy Arnold - Make The World Go Away
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?