Wednesday 1 May 1963
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to I Will Follow Him by Little Peggy March.
In UK How Do You Do It? by Gerry & The Pacemakers was in the top 5 hits.
Dr. No, directed by Terence Young, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1963
while Raise High The Roof Beam, Carpenters by J.D was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1963.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1963 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Robert Seguso in Minneapolis: Minnesota, USA; tennis star.
- Lope K Santos: Filipino writer, father of the Filipino language (Born 1879).
- 1st American (James Whittaker) conquers Mount Everest
- Indonesia takes control of Irian Jaya (west New Guinea) from Netherlands.
- The Coca-Cola Company introduces its first diet drink, TaB cola.
- Thousands of African Americans, many of them children, are arrested while protesting segregation in Birmingham, Alabama. Public Safety Commissioner Eugene ampquotBullampquot Connor later unleashes fire hoses and police dogs on the demonstrators.
- Berthold Seliger launches near Cuxhaven a 3 stage rocket with a maximum flight altitude of more than 62 miles (the only sounding rocket developed in Germany).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1963 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Little Peggy March - I Will Follow Him
- Andy Williams - Can't Get Used To Losing You
- Peter, Paul & Mary - Puff (The Magic Dragon)
- Chantay's - Pipeline
- The Chiffons - He's So Fine
- Jimmy Soul - If You Wanna Be Happy
- The Cookies - Don't Say Nothin' Bad (About My Baby)
- The Beach Boys - Surfin' U.S.A.
- The Drifters - On Broadway
- Mongo Santamaria Band - Watermelon Man
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?