Friday 1 May 1964
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carlos Aalbers and Sarah FE Armstrong-Jones.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Can't Buy Me Love by The Beatles.
Black Sabbath, directed by Mario Bava, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1964
while The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Horizon.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1964 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Carlos Aalbers: Dutch soccer player (NEC).
- Sarah FE Armstrong-Jones: daughter of princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon.
- Ruth Picardie: journalist.
- Lady Sarah Chatto: daughter of Princess Margaret.
- Sarah Chatto: British royalty, daughter of Princess Margaret and Anthony Armstrong-Jones.
- Stéphane Wattel: French racehorse trainer based at Deauville.
- Will Kimbrough: American singer-songwriter guitarist and producer
- Yvonne van Gennip: Dutch speed skater
- 1st BASIC program runs on a computer (Dartmouth)
- At Dartmouth College, in Hanover, New Hampshire, the BASIC programming language runs for the first time. The language was developed by professors John Kemeny and Thomas Kurtz, BASIC is an acronym for Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. It is based on FORTRAN and Algol, and was developed for a General Electric 225 mainframe computer.
- Senator Barry Goldwater receives more than 75% of the votes in the Texas Republican Presidential primary.
- Some 400–1,000 students march through Times Square, New York and another 700 in San Francisco, in the first major student demonstration against the Vietnam War. Smaller marches also occur in Boston, Seattle, and Madison, Wisconsin.
- Henry Hezekiah Dee and Charles Eddie Moore, hitchhiking in Meadville, Mississippi, are kidnapped and beaten by members of the Ku Klux Klan. Their badly decomposed bodies are found by chance 2 months later in July, during the search for 3 civil rights workers – Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1964 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love
- Louis Armstrong - Hello, Dolly!
- The Beatles - Do You Want To Know A Secret
- The Dave Clark Five - Bits And Pieces
- Mary Wells - My Guy
- The Serendipity Singers - Don't Let The Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man)
- The Beatles - Twist And Shout
- Terry Stafford - Suspicion
- Jan & Dean - Dead Man's Curve
- The 4 Seasons - Ronnie
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?