Saturday 4 May 1963
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to I Will Follow Him by Little Peggy March.
In UK How Do You Do It? by Gerry & The Pacemakers was in the top 5 hits.
Dr. No, directed by Terence Young, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1963
while Raise High The Roof Beam, Carpenters by J.D was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 4 May 1963 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Vange Leonel: Brazilian singer-songwriter and activist (d. 2014).
- Pitcher Bob Shaw sets record of five balks in a game.
- 89th Kentucky Derby: Braulio Baeza aboard Chateaugay wins in 2:01.8.
- The Le Monde Theater fire in Dioirbel, Senegal kills 64.
- ''Dr. No'', the first James Bond film, is shown in U.S. theaters.
- Hue Vesak shootings: The Army of the Republic of Vietnam opens fire on Buddhists who defy a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, the birthday of Gautama Buddha, killing nine. Earlier, President Ngo Dinh Diem allowed the flying of the Vatican flag in honour of his brother, Archbishop Ngo Dinh Thuc.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1963 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Chiffons - He's So Fine
- Little Peggy March - I Will Follow Him
- Jimmy Soul - If You Wanna Be Happy
- Andy Williams - Can't Get Used To Losing You
- Peter, Paul & Mary - Puff (The Magic Dragon)
- The Beach Boys - Surfin' U.S.A.
- Chantay's - Pipeline
- The Cookies - Don't Say Nothin' Bad (About My Baby)
- The Drifters - On Broadway
- Mongo Santamaria Band - Watermelon Man
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?