Monday 1 October 1962
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Sherry by The 4 Seasons.
In UK Telstar by The Tornados was in the top 5 hits.
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, directed by Tony Richardson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship Of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1962.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1962!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1962 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Trevor Baxter: record holder for high jumping with a skateboard.
- Esai Morales: American actor making a N.Y.
- Attaphol Buspakom: Thai footballer and manager (d. 2015).
- Nico Claesen: Belgian footballer and coach.
- Micky Flanagan: English comedian.
- Paul Walsh: English footballer and sportscaster
- Hakeem Kae-Kazim: Movie Actor
- Isabelle Guion de Meritens: First female general (brigadier) in the French national gendarmerie at the age of 50.
- Barbra Streisand signs her 1st recording contract (with Columbia)
- James Meredith became 1st black at University of Mississippi
- Lucy Show premieres
- San Francisco beat the Dodgers, 8-0 in 1st of best-of-3 NL playoff
- UN gives Netherlands control of New-Guinea
- WEDH TV channel 24 in Hartford, CT (PBS) begins broadcasting
- US National Radio Astronomy Observatory gets a 300-foot (91-metre) radio telescope.
- Brian Epstein signs a contract to manage The Beatles through 1977.
- Johnny Carson begins a 30-year run as the host of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson at NBC.
- First broadcast of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The 4 Seasons - Sherry
- Bobby (Boris) Pickett - Monster Mash
- Nat King Cole - Ramblin' Rose
- Chris Montez - Let's Dance
- Booker T. & The M.G.s - Green Onions
- Dickey Lee - Patches
- Jimmy Clanton - Venus In Blue Jeans
- Frank Ifield - I Remember You
- Alley Cat - Bent Fabric and his Piano
- Mary Wells - You Beat Me To The Punch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?