Wednesday 2 October 1957
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Tammy by Debbie Reynolds.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
Raintree County, directed by Edward Dmytryk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 1957!
Which were the important events of 2 October 1957 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
- John Neuman Cook: Toledo, Ohio -- PGA golfer (1981 Bing Crosby).
- Kimberly Herrin: Santa Barbara, California -- Playmate (March, 1981).
- Brian Regan: Comedian.
- John Corcoran: American engineer in the merchant marines, killed 9/11/2001 when United Airline flight 1975 crashed into the World Trade Center.
- John Cook: American golfer.
- Wade Dooley: English rugby player and police officer
- Dave Faulkner: Australian singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Victims The Manikins and Hoodoo Gurus)
- Kymberly Herrin: American model and actress
- Kate St John: English singer-songwriter and producer (The Dream Academy)
- Jacques Fesch: French homicide; the killer of a police officer while fleeing from a hold-up on 25 February 1954, 5:45 PM, Paris.
- New volcanic island appears off Fayal Island Azores
- New York Yankees appear in their 26th World Series (World Series #54).
- David Lean's film ''The Bridge on the River Kwai'' opens in the UK.
- Space Age ndash Sputnik program: The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the earth.
- Canada's Avro Arrow is unveiled to the public.
- The comedy sitcom ''Leave It to Beaver'' premieres on television.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- Johnny Mathis - Chances Are
- Paul Anka - Diana
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- Russ Hamilton - Rainbow
- The Bobbettes - Mr. Lee
- Tony Bennett - In The Middle Of An Island
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 2 October 1957 and get them!