Thursday 17 October 1957
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Honeycomb by Jimmie Rodgers.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
The Colditz Story, directed by Guy Hamilton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1957!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1957 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Lawrence Bender: American actor and producer.
- Steve McMichael: American football player wrestler and sportscaster.
- Vincent Van Patten: American tennis player and actor.
- Vincent Van Patten in Belrose: New York, USA; actor (Apple's Way, Three for the Road).
- John HA Eman: Founder of Aruban Peoples Party, dies at 70.
- Copper & Brass opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 36 performances
- Dike Marken-Dutch mainland closed
- II Tsjoendrigar becomes Premier of Pakistan
- French author Albert Camus awarded Nobel Prize in Literature.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- Johnny Mathis - Chances Are
- Paul Anka - Diana
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- Russ Hamilton - Rainbow
- The Tune Weavers - Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
- The Bobbettes - Mr. Lee
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 October 1957 and get them!