Thursday 8 August 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Just Jaeckin and Dilip Sardesai.
The Great McGinty, directed by Preston Sturges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1940 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Just Jaeckin: French film director, best known for "Emmanuelle", played by Sylvia Kristel.
- Dilip Sardesai: Indian cricketer (d. 2007).
- Dennis Tito: American engineer and businessman founded Wilshire Associates.
- Johnny Dodds: American clarinet player and saxophonist (d. 1940).
- 31 German aircrafts shot down over England
- Battle of Britain began as Germany launches air attacks
- The ''Aufbau Ost'' directive is signed by Wilhelm Keitel.
- WWII: Wilhelm Keitel signs the quotAufbau Ostquot directive, which eventually leads to the invasion of the Soviet Union.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 August 1940
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?