Thursday 8 August 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Great McGinty, directed by Preston Sturges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1940 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Just Jaeckin: French film director, best known for "Emmanuelle", played by Sylvia Kristel.
- Dilip Sardesai: Indian cricketer (d. 2007).
- Dennis Tito: American engineer and businessman founded Wilshire Associates.
- Johnny Dodds: American clarinet player and saxophonist (d. 1940).
- 31 German aircrafts shot down over England
- Battle of Britain began as Germany launches air attacks
- The ''Aufbau Ost'' directive is signed by Wilhelm Keitel.
- WWII: Wilhelm Keitel signs the quotAufbau Ostquot directive, which eventually leads to the invasion of the Soviet Union.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?