Friday 11 July 1958
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ray Dodds and Andrew Gilbert-Scott.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to The Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley.
In UK Who's Sorry Now by Connie Francis was in the top 5 hits.
The Fly, directed by Kurt Neumann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while Anatomy Of A Murder by Robert Traver was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Frontier Justice.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 1958!
Which were the important events of 11 July 1958 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
- Ray Dodds: Rocker (Fairground Attraction-You Send Me).
- Andrew Gilbert-Scott: British racing driver.
- Hugo Sanchez: Mexican footballer.
- Mark Lester: English actor.
- Hugo Sánchez: Mexican footballer coach and manager.
- Karel Wellens: Flemish painter, dies at 69.
- Count Michael Rhédey von Kis-Rhéde, direct descendant of Samuel Aba, King of Hungary, at the age of 60 is pistol-whipped and murdered over a few hectares of land by Czechoslovak Communists during the collectivization process at his residence in Olcsvar, Slovakia.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 11 July 1958
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Sheb Wooley - The Purple People Eater
- The Coasters - Yakety Yak
- Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman
- The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream
- Jody Reynolds - Endless Sleep
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
- Dean Martin - Return To Me
- Jimmie Rodgers - Secretly
- David Seville - Witch Doctor
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?