Wednesday 14 September 1955
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Olivier Roellinger and Steve Berlin.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Yellow Rose Of Texas by Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Killer's Kiss, directed by Stanley Kubrick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Cheyenne.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1955!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1955 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Olivier Roellinger: French chef and businessman, who earned three Michelin stars in 1996.
- Steve Berlin: American saxophonist keyboard player and producer (Los Lobos The Flesh Eaters and The Blasters).
- Geraldine Brooks: Actress (Faraday & Co, Dumplings), dies at 51.
- William Jackson: Scottish harp player and composer (Ossian).
- Edu Manzano: American-Filipino actor and politician.
- F C Weiskopf: Writer.
- Herb Score sets rookie record of 235 strikeouts (en route 245)
- Pope Pius XII elevates many of the Apostolic Vicariates in Africa to Metropolitan Archdioceses
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 14 September 1955
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?