Saturday 16 August 1958
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Poor Little Fool by Ricky Nelson.
In UK All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
while Anatomy Of A Murder by Robert Traver was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1958!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1958 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- José Clerc: Argentinian tennis player and coach.
- Oscar Collodo: Swiss-born Italian rugby player and coach.
- Diane Dodds: Northern Irish educator and politician.
- Jose Luis: Clerc, Argentina -- Tennis star.
- Peter "Jeff" K Wisoff: Norfolk, Virginia -- PhD / Astronaut (STS 57, 68, 81 / 84).
- Simon Miller: New Zealand designer, artist, photographer and fashion retailer, based in Florence, Italy. He is a son of celebrity manager Harry M. Miller.
- Angela Bassett: American actress
- Jose Luis Clerc: Argentine tennis player
- Michael Harkin: American anthropologist
- Madonna (Ciccone) in Bay City: Michigan, USA; singer/actress ("Like a Virgin").
- Jonathan Prince in Beverly Hills: Pennsylvania, USA; actor (Danny - "Alice").
- Madonna : American singer, songwriter, dancer, actress, and businesswoman, often referred to as the "Queen of Pop." Madonna has sold more than 300 million records worldwide and is recognized as the best-selling female recording artist of all time by Guinness World Records, having sold 64.5 million albums. Her number one hit singles include "Like a Virgin," "Into the Groove," "Papa Don't Preach," "Like a Prayer," "Vogue," "Frozen," "Music" and "Hung Up."
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Domenico Modugno - Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)
- Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
- Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Jack Scott - My True Love
- Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
- Jimmy Clanton - Just A Dream
- Kalin Twins - When
- Duane Eddy - Rebel-'Rouser
- Johnny Otis Show - Willie And The Hand Jive
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 August 1958 and get them!