Saturday 16 August 1958
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jose Luis and Peter "Jeff" K Wisoff.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Poor Little Fool by Ricky Nelson.
In UK All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
while Anatomy Of A Murder by Robert Traver was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1958.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1958!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1958 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Jose Luis: Clerc, Argentina -- Tennis star.
- Peter "Jeff" K Wisoff: Norfolk, Virginia -- PhD / Astronaut (STS 57, 68, 81 / 84).
- Madonna (Ciccone) in Bay City: Michigan, USA; singer/actress ("Like a Virgin").
- Jonathan Prince in Beverly Hills: Pennsylvania, USA; actor (Danny - "Alice").
- Jose Luis Clerc: Argentine tennis player.
- Michael Harkin: American anthropologist
- Madonna : American singer, songwriter, dancer, actress, and businesswoman, often referred to as the "Queen of Pop." Madonna has sold more than 300 million records worldwide and is recognized as the best-selling female recording artist of all time by Guinness World Records, having sold 64.5 million albums. Her number one hit singles include "Like a Virgin," "Into the Groove," "Papa Don't Preach," "Like a Prayer," "Vogue," "Frozen," "Music" and "Hung Up."
- Simon Miller: New Zealand designer, artist, photographer and fashion retailer, based in Florence, Italy. He is a son of celebrity manager Harry M. Miller.
- Angela Bassett: American actress
- José Clerc: Argentinian tennis player and coach
- Oscar Collodo: Swiss-born Italian rugby player and coach
- Diane Dodds: Northern Irish educator and politician
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
- Domenico Modugno - Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
- Kalin Twins - When
- Jack Scott - My True Love
- Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman
- Duane Eddy - Rebel-'Rouser
- Johnny Otis Show - Willie And The Hand Jive
- Jimmy Clanton - Just A Dream
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?