Sunday 17 December 1961
It was Sunday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Venice Kong and Sarah Dallin.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Please Mr. Postman by The Marvelettes.
In UK Tower Of Strength by Frankie Vaughan was in the top 5 hits.
Lover Come Back, directed by Delbert Mann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Poly.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 17 December 1961 ?
- Venice Kong: St. Mary, Jamaica -- Playmate (September, 1985).
- Sarah Dallin: rocker (Bananarama - "Venus").
- Sam Robards: American actor and noted family, the son of Lauren Bacall and Jason Robards who divorced when he was eight.
- Mansoor al-Jamri: Bahraini journalist and author.
- Sara Dallin: English singer and bass player (Bananarama).
- Marek Kaleta: Estonian javelin thrower
- Marion Perkins: sculptor (Man of Sorrow), dies at age 53.
- India seizes Goa and 2 other Portuguese colonies
- Niteroi Circus of Rio de Janeiro catches fire; 323 die
- Disgruntled employee sets fire to a Niteroi Circus of Rio de Janeiro circus tent in Niteroi, Brazil; 323 die.
- History of Goa: Operation Vijay : India seizes Goa from Portugal.
- A circus tent fire in Niterói, Brazil kills 323.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Ferrante & Teicher - Tonight
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?