Saturday 30 December 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sue Malaxos and Sean Hannity.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens.
In UK Poetry In Motion by Johnny Tillotson was in the top 5 hits.
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, directed by Jos Quintero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hollywood Special.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 30 December 1961 ?
- The sixth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Pope Felix I (optional memorial)
- Philippines - Rizal Day
- Sue Malaxos: Australian marathon runner (Olympics-1996).
- Sean Hannity: American conservative talk show host, political commentator and writer, he is known for his broadcasts on Fox News Channel since 1996.
- Charlie Nicholas: Scottish professional football player.
- Fred Poulet: French singer and film director, he directed "Substitute" in 2007 with Vikash Dhorasoo.
- Douglas Coupland: German-Canadian author and playwright.
- Ben Johnson: 100m runner (1988 Olympics - Gold Medalist, disqualified)
- Seda Sayan: Turkish singer and actress
- Jacobus "Ko" van den Bosch Dutch actor (Amsterdamned)/director: dies at age 53.
- Congolese troops capture Albert Kalonji of South Kasai (who soon escapes).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 30 December 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Frankie Vaughan - Tower Of Strength
- Johnny Tillotson - Poetry In Motion
- Danny Williams - Moon River
- Cliff Richard - I Love You
- Elvis Presley - His Latest Flame / Little Sisters
- The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Me
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- Matt Monro - Portrait Of My Love
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?