Tuesday 19 December 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Patrick Foran and Abigail Johnson.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens.
In UK Tower Of Strength by Frankie Vaughan was in the top 5 hits.
The Innocents, directed by Jack Clayton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Poly.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 19 December 1961 ?
- 2003 - the events of the fictional docu-drama The Day Britain Stopped take place.
- Roman festivals - Opalia
- Also see December 19 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Patrick Foran: American member of an aircraft maintenance crew, the 128th Air Refueling Group of the Wisconsin National Guard specialist team.
- Abigail Johnson: American financial services executive, daughter of Edward C. "Ned" Johnson, chairman and CEO of Fidelity Investments, 4th richest man in US with a family fortune estimated by Forbes magazine at least $5.
- Reggie White: American athlete, defensive end for the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers, finishing up his career with the Carolina panthers in 2000.
- Eric Cornell: American physicist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Matthew Waterhouse: English actor and author.
- Indonesian President Sukarno proclaims general mobilization.
- British government begins process of switching to decimal coin system.
- India annexes Daman and Diu, part of Portuguese India.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?