Wednesday 13 December 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Irene Saez and Philippe Francq.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Please Mr. Postman by The Marvelettes.
In UK Tower Of Strength by Frankie Vaughan was in the top 5 hits.
Lover Come Back, directed by Delbert Mann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Comedy Playhouse.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1961 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
- Irene Saez: Miss Universe 1981 and Venezuelan politician.
- Philippe Francq: Belgian comic book artist, best known for the series Largo Winch.
- Karen Witter: American model and actress.
- Harry Gregson-Williams: English composer conductor and producer.
- Irene Sáez: Venezuelan model and politician Governor of Nueva Esparta.
- Gary Zimmerman: NFL tackle (Denver Broncos - Super Bowl 32)
- Beatles sign a formal agreement to be managed by Brian Epstein
- Gideon Hausner in Jerusalem demands death penalty for Adolf Eichmann.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 13 December 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Ferrante & Teicher - Tonight
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?