Thursday 19 August 1971
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to How Can You Mend A Broken Heart by Bee Gees.
In UK I'm Still Waiting by Diana Ross was in the top 5 hits.
Deep End, directed by Jerzy Skolimowski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1971.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1971!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1971 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Tricia Ann Luedtke in Oostburg: Wisconsin, USA; Miss Wisconsin-America-1991.
- Mary Fernández: Dominican-American tennis player and coach.
- João Pinto: Portuguese footballer.
- Mary Jo Fernandez: Tennis player.
- Joao Vieira Pinto: Portuguese football player.
- Mary Fernandez: Dominican tennis player: WTA Tour
- Michael Cleveland: American homicide victim, found shot to death on August 25, 2000 in an alley behind his home of a siingle gunshot to the chest. There was no sign of burglary and no suspect had been charged. Cleveland had worked in a community co-operative market, taught tai chi, and played musical instruments. He was an only child whose parents divorced in 1982. After graduation from a technical college with a degree in mechanical drawing, he moved to Texas where he got a job reconditioning oil refineries. In t
- Walther Victor: Writer.
- August 22 ampndash A right-wing coup ignites a rebellion in Bolivia. Miners and students join troops to support president Juan Jose Torres, but eventually Hugo Banzer takes over.
- International Telecommunications Satellite Organization (Intelsat) (effective 12 February 1973).
- The USS Manatee (AO-58) spills of fuel oil on President Nixon's Western White House beach in San Clemente, California.
- The first orca to be named, Shamu, dies.
- A bomb made of two hand grenades by communist rebels explodes in the Liberal Party campaign party in Plaza Miranda in Quiapo, Manila the Philippines, injuring several anti-Marcos political candidates.
- Border clashes occur between Tanzania and Uganda.
- Bangladesh and eastern Bengal are flooded thousands flee the area.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
- Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
- John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads
- Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
- James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Sweet Hitch-Hiker
- Chicago - Beginnings
- Five Man Electrical Band - Signs
- Tommy James - Draggin' The Line
- Three Dog Night - Liar
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?