Sunday 22 August 2010
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Piranha, directed by Alexandre Aja, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 22 August 2010 ?
- RC feasts - Mary queen of angels
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 22 August
- Stjepan Bobek: Croatian-Serbian footballer and manager (d. 2010).
- A Venezuelan soldier opens fire at an army base in the capital Caracas, killing two officers and injuring six others. (AP)
- The Philippines and the United States hold a joint exercise of their forces. (Xinhua)
- Brazilian police rescue 35 hostages from InterContinental in São Conrado, Rio de Janeiro. (Al Jazeera)
- The Government of Somalia claims that 10 members of the al-Shabab militant group have been killed when bombs they were preparing went off prematurely in Mogadishu. (Al Jazeera)
- Rwandan Lieutenant-Colonel Rugigana Ngabo, brother of exiled General Faustin Nyamwasa, is reported missing, having been arrested on Friday. (BBC)
- The Vincent van Gogh painting ''Poppy Flowers'', missing but reportedly found yesterday, is now reported missing again after yesterday's find is proven false. (Aljazeera)
- Hundreds of people rally in relation to an Islamic cultural centre proposed for New York City, United States opponents to the building blare Bruce Springsteen's ampquotBorn in the U.S.A.ampquot over loudspeakers. (Aljazeera)
- 5,000 people are evacuated in North Korea after the Yalu River on the border with China floods 94,000 in China are also evacuated. (BBC)
- 2010 Pakistan floods:
- Around 150,000 people flee their homes in Sindh as the devastating floods worsen in Pakistan. (BBC)
- International pledges currently total $800 million, say government figures. (Aljazeera)
- All 33 Chilean miners trapped deep underground are located alive after 17 days, though they have not yet been removed from the mine and remain trapped. (Aljazeera)
- A Bolivian-flagged all-female international aid ship bound for Gaza is delayed as Cyprus bans it from passing, with Israel's Ehud Barak calling on France and the United States to prevent it from sailing because, he says, it is ampquota needless provocationampquot. (Buenos Aires News)
- Iran unveils a long range unmanned bomber, the Karrar drone their latest addition in a number of recently disclosed military hardware. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Palestinian official Wassel Abu Yousef objects to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's talk of ampquotpreconditionsampquot that the Palestinians should recognize Israel as the state of Jews and says such comments are a threat to direct talks next month. (Xinhua)
- South African trade unions state that a court injunction successfully sought by the government is intended to ampquotintimidateampquot workers who are striking in the hope of receiving better pay. (News24)
- Supporters of Julian Assange of Wikileaks credit American intelligence agencies with recent smears against his character and express surprise that it has not happened sooner. (Aljazeera)
- After a federal investigation by the United States, 47 foreign-born gang members are arrested in New England, including members of the ampquotTrue Somali Bloodsampquot, ampquotTrue Sudanese Bloodsampquot and the ampquotAsian Boyzampquot. Over half are arrested in the U.S. state of Maine. (''Portland Press Herald'')
- 4 mutilated and decapitated corpses are located by police hanging by their ankles from a bridge outside Cuernavaca, Morelos. (BBC)
- With results of the federal election in Australia indicating a hung parliament, Prime Minister Julia Gillard holds initial talks with independent candidates in an attempt to form a government. (Aljazeera)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?