Friday 20 August 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Piranha, directed by Alexandre Aja, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 20 August 2010 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 20 August
- Norwegian stand-up comedian Hans Morten Hansen completes a 38 hours and 14 minute long stand-up marathon, setting a new world record for longest stand-up performance. (''VG'')
- A spectator commits suicide during a concert by The Swell Season in the U.S. state of California. (''NME'')
- Charles Haddon, singer of the British synthpop band Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, commits suicide after a show at the Pukkelpop festival in Belgium. ''(NME)''
- Novelist A. S. Byatt and critic John Carey win the James Tait Black Memorial Prizes, Britain's oldest literary awards. (BBC)
- A. S. Byatt criticises the Orange Prize as ampquotsexistampquot and says women who write intellectual books are viewed as ampquotunnaturalampquot. (''The Guardian'')
- J. D. Salinger's toilet is put on sale on eBay for $1 million. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
- Mr Benn is reprinted for the first time in 30 years. (''The Guardian'')
- Carworkers in South Africa end their eight-day strike with a 10% pay deal. (BBC)
- Bolivia declares a state of emergency after approximately 25,000 forest fires spread across the country. (BBC)
- 58 pilot whales die after becoming stranded on New Zealand's Karikari Peninsula. (''The New Zealand Herald'')
- Hundreds of flights over Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands are delayed by an air traffic control problem. (BBC)
- For failure to deal with the recent wildfires the head of Russia's forestry agency is fired by Vladimir Putin and replaced with his deputy. (BBC)
- 2010 Pakistan floods:
- After initial hesitation, Pakistan ultimately accepts $5 million in aid from India it subsequently calls it a ampquotvery welcome initiativeampquot. (BBC)
- The United Nations calls for more helicopters. (BBC)
- Gas leak in a hardware store in Santa Cruz, Chile produces a massive evacuation in the surrounding area. (''Wikinews'')
- France continues deporting Roma as the Vatican condemns this act. (News24)
- Israel and Palestinians agree to resume peace talks on September 2. (''The New York Times'')
- Canada Post advises customers that it cannot accept mail to Gaza until further notice. Israel Post continues to inform postal services around the world that mail service to Gaza is unavailable. (Reuters)
- President of Iran Mahmoud Ahmadinejad rejects calls from the United Nations Security Council to stop all uranium enrichment but promises to stop high level enrichment if the country is assured of uranium for a research reactor. (''The Guardian'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?