Saturday 14 August 2010
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Piranha, directed by Alexandre Aja, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 14 August 2010 ?
- Paraguay - Flag Day
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of several saints: St. Eusebius of Rome
- United States - National Code talkers Day
- Pakistan - Independence Day
- RC saints - Maximilian Kolbe (Polish Franciscan priest martyred by Nazis in 1941)
- Morocco - Allegiance of Oued Eddahab or Rfo de Oro
- United States - National Creamsicles Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 14 August
- 2010 Summer Youth Olympic Games, first ever Youth Olympics, officially starts in Singapore.
- 6 Eritrean migrants attempting to enter Israel are shot dead by smugglers and Egyptian border guards, while several others are injured. (''Al-Masry Al-Youm'')
- 2 more people are killed during protests in Kashmir. (Press TV)
- 16 people are killed by gunmen in the Balochistan province of Pakistan in the towns of Aab-e-Ghum and Quetta. (Voice of America)
- Lebanon fatally shoots and kills Abd-al-Rahman Awad, the suspected leader of Fatah al-Islam. (AFP via ''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- 6 policemen are killed during 2 attacks in Baghdad, with 2 of the corpses burning in public. (AFP via Google News)
- 3 children are wounded after a wheelie bin explodes in Lurgan, County Armagh. (''The Guardian'')
- Two UNAMID peacekeepers are abducted by armed men in Nyala in the Darfur region of Sudan. (Reuters via Yahoo! News)
- Hungarian actress Zsa Zsa Gabor is rehospitalised for an operation days after her release. (BBC)
- A rally takes place outside Google's offices in the U.S. state of California against a proposal to change online data treatment. (BBC)
- The United Nations states Niger faces its worst hunger crisis in history, worse than 2005 when thousands of people were left to starve to death. (AP via ''San Jose Mercury News'')
- China announces a national day of mourning for the victims of mudslides in the northwest of the country, as the death toll rises to 1,239 people. (Aljazeera)
- 2010 Pakistan floods
- Robert Zoellick, the President of the World Bank estimates that the 2010 Pakistan floods have caused $1 billion in damages to crops. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- The Prime Minister of Pakistan Yusuf Raza Gilani estimates that 20 million people have been affected by the floods. (Aljazeera)
- The United Nations estimates that the relief efforts are yet to reach six million people. (Reuters)
- Russia announces that it is slowly bringing the 2010 Russian wildfires under control. (RIA Novosti)
- 9 people are wounded after a bridge collapses from the Gungahlin Drive Extension onto the Barton Highway in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Eight people are killed and 12 injured as a vehicle runs into a crowd during the California 200 Off-road racing event near Lucerne Valley, California. (AP via ''Seattle PI'')
- Release of Uri Brodsky:
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 14 August 2010 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?