Wednesday 23 April 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Odd Man Out, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1947.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1947!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1947 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Robert Burgess: English sociologist and academic.
- Glenn Cornick: English bass player (Jethro Tull and Paris) (d. 2014).
- Bernadette McAliskey: Irish politician.
- Bernadette Devlin: Irish politician.
- Carlton Sherwood: American soldier and journalist (d. 2014).
- Saskia [Trudy van den Berg] singer (S and Serge: Spinning Wheel).
- David Taylor: American mystic, a Jack-of-all-trades who was involved with black-magic people and activities. He originally trained for the priesthood until asked to leave the seminary. He wanted to appear "new-age" (even before the term was coined), always as a guru-priest-leader.
- Michel Leeb: French comedian, actor and singer.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1947 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Free Eats - Count Basie & His Orchestra
- Linda - Paul Weston & His Orchestra
- My Melancholy Baby - Sam Donahue & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?