Thursday 23 October 1958
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to It's All In The Game by Tommy Edwards.
In UK Stupid Cupid / Carolina Moon by Connie Francis was in the top 5 hits.
The Seventh Seal, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while Around The World With Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1958.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 October 1958!
Which were the important events of 23 October 1958 ?
- Chemistry: Mole Day
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Scorpio in Western tropical astrology.
- Hungary - National Day (revolution of 1956 and the proclamation of the Republic of Hungary in 1989)
- Also see October 23 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - Saint Giovanni da Capistrano; Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius
- French Republican Calendar - CTleri (Celery) Day, second day in the Month of Brumaire
- Michael Dyson: American activist author and academic.
- Rose Nabinger: German singer.
- Hiroyuki Kinoshita: Japanese actor.
- Frank Schaffer: German sprinter.
- Michael Eric Dyson: American activist, professor, author.
- De Gaulle offers Algerians defiance peace of the brave
- Soviet novelist Boris Pasternak wins Nobel Prize for Literature.
- USSR lends money to United Arab Republic to build Aswan High Dam.
- The Springhill Mine Bump : An underground earthquake traps 174 miners in the No. 2 colliery at Springhill, Nova Scotia, the deepest coal mine in North America at the time. By November 1, rescuers from around the world had dug out 100 of the victims, marking the death toll at 74.
- The Smurfs, a fictional race of blue dwarves, later popularized in a Hanna-Barbera animated cartoon series, appear for the first time in the story La flute a six schtroumpfs, a Johan and Peewit adventure by Peyo which is serialized in the weekly comics magazine Spirou.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game
- Bobby Day - Rock-In Robin
- Cozy Cole - Topsy II
- The Everly Brothers - Bird Dog
- Conway Twitty - It's Only Make Believe
- Robin Luke - Susie Darlin'
- Little Anthony and the Imperials - Tears On My Pillow
- The Kingston Trio - Tom Dooley
- Tommy Dorsey Orchestra - Tea For Two Cha Cha
- Big Bopper - Chantilly Lace
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?