Wednesday 1 October 1958
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to It's All In The Game by Tommy Edwards.
In UK When by The Kalin Twins was in the top 5 hits.
The Old Man and the Sea, directed by John Sturges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while Anatomy Of A Murder by Robert Traver was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1958.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1958!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1958 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Michelle Bauer [Medvitz]: California, United States -- Actress (One Million Heels BC).
- Alton Lister: American pro basketball player, he played for 16 seasons beginning in 1981.
- Martin Cooper: English saxophonist composer and painter (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and Godot).
- Masato Nakamura: Japanese bass player and producer (Dreams Come True).
- Robert Falk: Russian painter (Born 1886).
- Inauguration of NASA
- Vanguard Project transferred from military to NASA.
- Britain transfers Christmas Island (south of Java) to Australia.
- US National Aeronautics and Space Administration begins operations, taking over duties of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.
- NASA is created to replace NACA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game
- Domenico Modugno - Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)
- The Everly Brothers - Bird Dog
- Bobby Day - Rock-In Robin
- The Elegants - Little Star
- Little Anthony and the Imperials - Tears On My Pillow
- Robin Luke - Susie Darlin'
- Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues
- Jimmy Clanton - Just A Dream
- Roger Williams - Near You
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?