Sunday 24 May 1953
It was Sunday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
Pickup on South Street, directed by Samuel Fuller, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1953.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1953!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1953 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Nell Campbell: Australian-American actress and singer.
- Alfred Molina: London, England -- Actor (Enchanted April, Prick up your Ears).
- Klaus-Günter Stade: German footballer.
- Richard Wilson: English sculptor.
- Klaus-Gunter Stade: German footballer.
- Cor Hermus: Actor (Bleeke Bet, William of Orange, Jantes), dies at 63.
- Pope Pius XII publishes encyclical Doctor Mellifluus
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Ruby - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?