Friday 15 May 1953
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include George Brett in Wheeling and George Brett.
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
Young Bess, directed by George Sidney, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Coke Time.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 May 1953!
Which were the important events of 15 May 1953 ?
- Paraguay - Independence Day. Celebrations for the anniversary of the independence begin on Flag Day, 14 May.
- Nakba Day in Palestinian communities.
- Roman Empire - Mercuralia in honor of Mercury held.
- International day of climate changes.
- International conscientious objectors' day.
- Buddha's Birthday in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and South Korea (2005).
- United States - Peace Officers Memorial Day.
- International day of families.
- Teacher's Day in Mexico (Dfa del Maestro) and South Korea (??? ?).
- Saint Dymphna
- Saint Achillius
- Saint Gerebern
- Saint Isidore the Labourer
- Saint Jean-Baptiste de la Salle
- Saint Reticius
- Saint Denise
- Slovenia - Day of Slovenian armed forces.
- George Brett in Wheeling: West Virginia, USA; Kansas City Royals third baseman (1980 American League Most Valuable Player).
- George Brett: Baseball Player.
- Athene Donald: English physicist and academic.
- Mike Oldfield: English singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (The Sallyangie).
- Rocky Marciano KOs Jersey Joe Walcott in 1 for heavywgt boxing title
- Osip Zadkines monument to "The destroyed city" unveiled in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- Heavyweight Rocky Marciano knocks out Joe Walcott in Chicago, Illinois for heavyweight boxing title.
- The Standards And Recommended Practices (SARPS) for Aeronautical Information Service (AIS) were adopted by the ICAO Council. These SARPS are in Annex 15 to the Chicago Convention and 15 May is celebrated by the AIS community as “World AIS Day”.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 15 May 1953
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?