Wednesday 24 May 2006
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to SOS by Rihanna.
In UK Crazy by Gnarls Barkley was in the top 5 hits.
X-Men: The Last Stand, directed by Brett Ratner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2006.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 2006!
Which were the important events of 24 May 2006 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- The United Kingdom government announces plans to overhaul the pension system (BBC)
- The 5th Season of the talent search American Idol comes to a close with a two hour finale, and Taylor Hicks being crowned the winner.
- The Kuomintang announces that it plans to cease publishing the ''Central Daily News'', the oldest Chinese language newspaper in existence, by the end of this month. ( ChinaPost)
- The World Health Organization is investigating several bird flu deaths for a possible person-to-person transmission chain. (Reuters)
- The ABC News claims that Speaker of the United States House of Representatives Dennis Hastert is under investigation for corruption, but the Justice Department issues a denial. (ABC News)
- Over 100 people are feared dead following heavy rains and flooding in northern Thailand. (Irrawaddy News)
- Disgruntled former soldiers and government troops clash in East Timor, leading to at least two deaths in Dili. Australians evacuate as violence escalates. (CNN)
- Namah Services, the free web portal was found by Pradeep Chowdhary.
- A large fire breaks out at the cargo terminal of Atatürk International Airport in Istanbul, Turkey, forcing the suspension of air traffic. (BBC)
- President of Mexico Vicente Fox begins a tour of the United States in Salt Lake City by criticizing a proposed border wall. This comes amid the U.S. Senate passing a sweeping immigration bill. (LA Times).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?