Friday 26 May 2006
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to SOS by Rihanna.
In UK Crazy by Gnarls Barkley was in the top 5 hits.
X-Men: The Last Stand, directed by Brett Ratner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 May 2006!
Which were the important events of 26 May 2006 ?
- Saint Germain of Paris
- Blessed Pieter of Ter Duinen
- Saint William of Aquitaine
- Saint Simitrius
- Saint Philip Neri (died 1595)
- Saint Lambert (d.1154)
- Saint Berenger (died 1093)
- Georgia - National Day
- Poland - Mother's Day
- Australia - National Sorry Day
- The May 2006 Java earthquake kills over 5,700 people and leaves 200,000 homeless.
- Las Vegas Sands wins the bid to build the first casino Integrated Resort in Singapore, The Marina Bay Sands, at a cost of over S$5 billion. (CNA)
- Well-known Australian mountain climber Lincoln Hall is reported to have died on Mount Everest, but is later reported to be alive, having survived a night exposed near the summit of the mountain without oxygen. (BBC)
- In Berlin, Germany, Europe's largest train station, Berlin Hauptbahnhof, is opened by Chancellor Angela Merkel, Deutsche Bahn Chairman Hartmut Mehdorn and Industrial Commissioner of the European Union Günter Verheugen. The station is the hub of routes from Stockholm to Rome and Paris to Moscow. 1,200 trains will depart and arrive every day. The station is expected to have cost €800 million. (BBC)
- Mahmoud al-Majzoub, a leader of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, is killed in a car-bombing along with his brother, Nidal. (NYT)
- The United States Capitol building complex in Washington, D.C. is locked down after reports of what sounded like gunfire reached US Capitol police. The United States Senate was in session as a report of at least one person seeing a gunman in the Rayburn House Office Building gym was issued. Police say that the sound was likely that of a pneumatic hammer and that the 'gunman' may have been a plainclothes police officer. (CNN)
- The United States Senate was in session, when gunfire was reported, as Michael V. Hayden, who had been nominated to be director of the CIA, and Brett M. Kavanaugh, who had been nominated to be a United States court of appeals judge for the DC circuit, were both confirmed. (U.S. Senate news release)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?