Wednesday 25 March 1953
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mary Gross in Chicago and Marguerite Elsbeth.
In UK She Wears Red Feathers by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
Glen or Glenda, directed by Edward D. Wood Jr., was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Eye Witness.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 1953!
Which were the important events of 25 March 1953 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
- Mary Gross in Chicago: Illinois, USA; actress/comedian (Saturday Night Live, Club Paradise, Feds).
- Marguerite Elsbeth: American pro astrologer since 1973, she is the author of "Crystal Medicine," "The Silver Wheel" and "The Grail Castle" (Llewellyn) and many articles.
- Robert Fox: English producer and manager.
- Vesna Pusić: Croatian sociologist and politician Deputy Prime Minister of Croatia.
- 26 – ''Lari Massacre'' in Kenya: Mau Mau rebels kill up to 150 Kikuyu natives.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?