Thursday 26 December 1963
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Dominique by The Singing Nun.
In UK I Want To Hold Your Hand by The Beatles was in the top 5 hits.
Love with the Proper Stranger, directed by Robert Mulligan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1963
while The Living Reed by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1963.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1963!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1963 ?
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Kwanzaa
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Suzanne Carvalho: Brazilian model, a former nude centerfold model and actress in many soap operas and movies.
- Lars Ulrich: Drummer.
- Bill Wennington: Canadian basketball player and sportscaster.
- Double Dublin opens at Little Theater NYC for 4 performances
- Beatles release I Want To Hold Your Hand / I Saw Her Standing There
- US furnishes cereal to USSR.
- quotI Want to Hold Your Handquot and quotI Saw Her Standing Therequot are released in the U.S., marking the beginning of Beatlemania on an international level.
- The 1955 film ''Oklahoma!'', an adaptation of the famed Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, is re-released.
- David. H. Frisch and J. H. Smith prove that the radioactive decay of mesons is slowed by their motion (see Einstein's special relativity and general relativity).
- The Semi Automatic Ground Environment is fully deployed.
- TAT-3 cable goes into operation.
- Ivan Sutherland writes the revolutionary Sketchpad program and runs it on the Lincoln TX-2 computer at MIT.
- Construction of Moscow's Ostankino Tower begins.
- Harvey Ball invents the ubiquitous smiley face symbol.
- The Reformed Druids of North America (RDNA) is founded.
- The IEEE Computer Society is founded.
- The Urdu typewriter keyboard is standardised by the Central Language Board in Pakistan.
- For the first time in four consecutive years, the film ''The Wizard of Oz'' is not telecast. Reasons for this remain unknown to this day, but because the film at that time was telecast during the second week of December and the nation was still in mourning over the Kennedy assassination then, it could be that CBS executives decided it would be inappropriate to show it less than three weeks after such a tragic event.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1963 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Singing Nun - Dominique
- Bobby Vinton - There! I've Said It Again
- The Kingsmen - Louie Louie
- Lenny Welch - Since I Fell For You
- The Caravelles - You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry
- Dion Di Muci - Drip Drop
- Bobby Rydell - Forget Him
- The Murmaids - Popsicles And Icicles
- Johnny Tillotson - Talk Back Trembling Lips
- The Beach Boys - Be True To Your School
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?