Friday 28 May 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to OMG by Usher.
The A-Team, directed by Joe Carnahan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 May 2010!
Which were the important events of 28 May 2010 ?
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Germain of Paris
- Republic Day in Azerbaijan and Armenia (both 1918).
- Bernard of Menthon
- Augustine of Canterbury
- William of Gellone
- Prince Louis of Bourbon: elder son of Prince Louis, Duke of Anjou.
- Contributions from Belgium, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland allow the World Bank to cancel $36 million in Haiti's remaining debt following January's devastating earthquake. (CNN)
- At least three people die, at least four others are missing, a 15-day state of calamity is declared and the international airport is shut down due to the eruption of the Pacaya volcano in Guatemala. (CNN)
- Hundreds of corpses buried in a mudslide which swept away three villages on the slopes of Mount Elgon near Bududa, Uganda, three months ago are yet to be recovered. (BBC)
- Israeli–Palestinian conflict:
- Five boats belonging to pro-Israel advocacy group StandWithUs leave Ashdod and Herzliya to demonstrate against the international flotilla by displaying “Free Gaza from Hamas” banners and wearing bloodstained T-shirts, representing Hamas’ attacks. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- The Israeli Navy also sets off to confront the international flotilla carrying 10,000 tons of humanitarian aid as hundreds of people on board attempt to break the Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip. (''The Guardian'')
- The meeting is considered an international ampquotpublic relations battleampquot to be ampquotwaged on the high seasampquot. (CNN)
- Israel's foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman denies the existence of a humanitarian crisis and says the flotilla is ampquotan attempt at violent propaganda against Israelampquot and promises that ampquotIsrael will not allow a violation of its sovereignty at sea, in the air, or on landampquot. (Ynetnews)
- Voters in the Czech Republic vote in legislative elections. (Reuters)
- Nepal heads towards another political crisis. (Al Jazeera)
- North Korea:
- A leaked United Nations report states that North Korea is exporting nuclear technology to Burma, Iran and Syria. (''The Guardian'')
- China says it will ampquotnot protectampquot whoever sank the ROKS ''Cheonan'' in March. (BBC)
- Peruvian AIDESEP indigenous leader Alberto Pizango, detained on Wednesday as he returned from almost a year in exile in Nicaragua and charged with objecting to oil digging in the rainforest, is released on bail. (BBC)
- President of South Africa Jacob Zuma, in a rare disagreement with another African state, issues a statement of condemnation following Malawi's sentencing of a same-sex couple to 14 years in jail. (IOL)
- The BBC intervenes and tensions escalate after the UK cabinet members' threat to boycott ''Question Time'' unless Alastair Campbell, former adviser to Tony Blair, is removed from the panel. (BBC)
- Gulf of Mexico oil spill:
- BP and other agencies report progress in halting the flow of oil using a ampquottop killampquot operation. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- U.S. President Barack Obama fends off criticism that he has been too slow to respond. (''Chicago Tribune'')
- Indonesia announces a two-year moratorium on rainforest logging in return for up to $1bn in aid from Norway, which will help preserve forests. (The Jakarta Post)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?