Tuesday 1 July 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Marc Benno and Shirley Hemphill.
Brute Force, directed by Jules Dassin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching The Borden Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1947!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1947 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Marc Benno: Rocker.
- Shirley Hemphill: American actress (Born 1947).
- Kazuyoshi Hoshino: Japanese race car driver.
- Malcolm Wicks: English academic and politician (d. 2012).
- Clarence Lucas: Composer, dies at 80.
- 192m long passenger ship Willem Ruys (Achille Lauro) launched
- British Dominion Affairs office becomes Commonwealth Relations office.
- The Philippine Air Force is established.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1947 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Peg O' My Heart - Buddy Clark
- Art Lund - Peg O' My Heart
- Peg O' My Heart - Ted Weems & His Orchestra
- One O'clock Boogie - Count Basie & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?