Monday 1 March 1909
It was Monday, under the sign of Pisces (see planets position on March 1, 1909). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Brenda Crenshaw and David Niven Kirriemuir Angus Scotland actor (Casino Royale.
Topsy-Turvy, directed by Mike Leigh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1909
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 March 1909
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1909!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1909 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Brenda Crenshaw: British-American psychic and medium who gave private readings to a Hollywood clientele.
- David Niven Kirriemuir Angus Scotland actor (Casino Royale: Eye of the Devil).
- Richard de: Guide composer.
- Robert Selby: Taylor bishop.
- Terence De Marney: England, United Kingdom -- Actor (Case Thomas-Johnny Ringo).
- David Niven: English actor and novelist who was popular in Europe and in the United States.
- Eugene Esmonde: English lieutenant and pilot (d. 1942).
- Winston Sharples: American composer (d. 1978).
- Vivian Fearing: American homemaker, married to Don on 10/03/1930; one daughter.
- 1st US university school of nursing established, University of Minnesota