Wednesday 2 October 1957
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra (see planets position on October 2, 1957). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kate St John and Kimberly Herrin.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Tammy by Debbie Reynolds.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
Jailhouse Rock, directed by Richard Thorpe, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Letter From Peking by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Real McCoys.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 2 October 1957
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 1957!
Which were the important events of 2 October 1957 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
- Kate St John: English singer-songwriter and producer (The Dream Academy).
- Kimberly Herrin: Santa Barbara, California -- Playmate (March, 1981).
- John Corcoran: American engineer in the merchant marines, killed 9/11/2001 when United Airline flight 1975 crashed into the World Trade Center.
- Brian Regan: Comedian.
- John Neuman Cook: Toledo, Ohio -- PGA golfer (1981 Bing Crosby).
- Wade Dooley: English rugby player and police officer.
- Dave Faulkner: Australian singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Victims The Manikins and Hoodoo Gurus).
- Kymberly Herrin: American model and actress.
- John Cook: American golfer.
- Jacques Fesch: French homicide; the killer of a police officer while fleeing from a hold-up on 25 February 1954, 5:45 PM, Paris.
- New volcanic island appears off Fayal Island Azores
- New York Yankees appear in their 26th World Series (World Series #54).
- David Lean's film ''The Bridge on the River Kwai'' opens in the UK.
- Space Age ndash Sputnik program: The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the earth.
- Canada's Avro Arrow is unveiled to the public.
- The comedy sitcom ''Leave It to Beaver'' premieres on television.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- The Bobbettes - Mr. Lee
- Russ Hamilton - Rainbow
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Tony Bennett - In The Middle Of An Island
- Johnny Mathis - Chances Are
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?