Monday 21 October 1957
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Julian Cope and Wolfgang Ketterle.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Wake Up Little Susie by The Everly Brothers.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
Nights of Cabiria, directed by Federico Fellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Twentieth Century.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 1957!
Which were the important events of 21 October 1957 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
- Julian Cope: English singer-songwriter (The Teardrop Explodes Crucial Three Black Sheep Brain Donor and Queen Elizabeth).
- Wolfgang Ketterle: German physicist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Steve Lukather: American singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (Toto).
- Giants purchase Class-A Phoenix team
- Jailhouse Rock starring Elvis Presley opens
- Marlene Hagge wins LPGA Lawton Golf Open
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 21 October 1957
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Johnny Mathis - Chances Are
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- The Tune Weavers - Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
- The Bobbettes - Mr. Lee
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?