Thursday 17 October 1957
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Vincent Van Patten in Belrose and Lawrence Bender.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Honeycomb by Jimmie Rodgers.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
The Colditz Story, directed by Guy Hamilton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Twentieth Century.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1957!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1957 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Vincent Van Patten in Belrose: New York, USA; actor (Apple's Way, Three for the Road).
- Lawrence Bender: American actor and producer.
- Steve McMichael: American football player wrestler and sportscaster.
- Vincent Van Patten: American tennis player and actor.
- John HA Eman: Founder of Aruban Peoples Party, dies at 70.
- Copper & Brass opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 36 performances
- Dike Marken-Dutch mainland closed
- II Tsjoendrigar becomes Premier of Pakistan
- French author Albert Camus awarded Nobel Prize in Literature.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 October 1957
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- Johnny Mathis - Chances Are
- The Tune Weavers - Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
- The Bobbettes - Mr. Lee
- Russ Hamilton - Rainbow
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?